Are distant objects appearing blurry? Do you find reading road signs difficult or seeing clearly in the distance?
Does your child complain that they can’t see the whiteboard in the classroom? Do they sit too close to the TV or hold books right up to their face?
Myopia, or nearsightedness, might be to blame. At Elevated Eye Care, we provide comprehensive eye care services, including diagnosing and treating myopia.
Our experienced optometrists are here to help you understand this common vision condition and provide effective solutions to improve your eyesight. Don't let nearsightedness hold you back – schedule an appointment today and embark on a journey to clear vision!
What is Nearsightedness (Myopia)?
Myopia is a refractive error that affects the ability to see distant objects clearly. If you're nearsighted, you can see objects up close more clearly than in the distance. This condition occurs when the shape of your eye causes light rays to focus in front of the retina instead of directly on it. The result is blurred vision when looking at objects far away, such as signs, faces, or landscapes.
What Causes Myopia?
Myopia can develop during childhood or adolescence and worsens over time. Several factors contribute to the development of nearsightedness, including genetics, environmental factors, and prolonged near-work, such as excessive reading or screen time.
If you have a family history of myopia, you're at a higher risk of developing the condition. Additionally, spending too much time indoors and limiting exposure to natural light can increase the likelihood of myopia progression.
Symptoms of Myopia
Recognizing the signs of nearsightedness can help you seek timely intervention and prevent further vision deterioration. Common symptoms of myopia include the following:
- Blurred vision when looking at distant objects
- Squinting or straining to see clearly
- Frequent headaches or eye fatigue
- Difficulty seeing while driving, especially at night
- The need to sit closer to the TV or hold books close to your face
If your or your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, it's essential to schedule an eye exam at Elevated Eye Care to determine if you have myopia and explore suitable treatment options.
Myopia Treatment at Elevated Eye Care in New Braunfels
The experienced optometrists at Elevated Eye Care offer various treatment options to manage nearsightedness and improve your visual acuity effectively. The most common treatments and correction methods are:
- Prescription Eyeglasses: Our skilled optometrists will perform a comprehensive eye exam and prescribe custom-designed eyeglasses to correct your nearsightedness. With a wide range of stylish frames and high-quality lenses, you can simultaneously enjoy clear vision and make a fashion statement!
- Contact Lenses: If you prefer an alternative to eyeglasses, our optometrists can recommend and fit you with contact lenses suitable for your specific needs. Whether you choose soft lenses, rigid gas-permeable lenses, or specialty lenses for conditions like astigmatism, we'll ensure a comfortable fit and excellent visual clarity.
- Orthokeratology (Ortho-k): This innovative treatment involves wearing specialized gas-permeable contact lenses overnight to reshape the cornea gently. Upon waking, you'll remove the lenses and enjoy clear vision throughout the day without needing corrective eyewear. Ortho-k is particularly beneficial for children, as it can slow the progression of myopia, helping preserve healthy eyesight for life.
- Refractive Surgery Consultation: If you're looking for a more permanent solution to nearsightedness, our optometrists can assess your suitability for refractive surgery, such as LASIK or PRK. We'll guide you through the process, refer you to a trusted ophthalmologist, and provide pre-and post-operative care to ensure a successful outcome.
Tips for Managing Myopia
Living with nearsightedness doesn't have to be a hindrance. You can effectively manage your myopia and maintain optimal eye health with the right strategies and habits. Here are some useful tips to help you navigate life with nearsightedness:
- Practice the 20-20-20 Rule: Spending extended periods focusing on close-up tasks can strain your eyes and potentially worsen myopia. Implement the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break to look at an object at least 20 feet away. This practice helps reduce eye fatigue and provides a much-needed visual break.
- Adjust Your Digital Habits: In today's digital age, it's crucial to be mindful of screen time. Prolonged use of electronic devices can exacerbate nearsightedness symptoms. Take regular breaks, adjust screen brightness and contrast to optimal levels, and maintain a comfortable viewing distance from your devices.
- Outdoor Time and Natural Light Exposure: Spending time outdoors and exposure to natural light has been associated with a reduced risk of myopia progression in children. Encourage outdoor activities and limit excessive screen time to promote better eye health for your little ones.
- Proper Lighting and Ergonomics: Ensure your indoor environment is well-lit to minimize eye strain. Optimal lighting conditions and proper ergonomic positioning of your workspace can significantly enhance your visual comfort and reduce the strain on your eyes.
- Follow Your Optometrist's Recommendations: Regular eye examinations are crucial for monitoring the progression of your myopia and adjusting your treatment plan accordingly. Follow your optometrist's recommendations for scheduled check-ups, and promptly communicate any changes in your vision or symptoms.
Implementing these tips into your daily routine can contribute to better management of nearsightedness and improve your overall eye health. Remember, the team at Elevated Eye Care is here to support you every step of the way.
Schedule an Appointment at Elevated Eye Care in New Braunfels
Don't let nearsightedness limit your daily activities or affect your overall well-being. Elevated Eye Care's compassionate and knowledgeable team is dedicated to providing personalized care and finding the best solutions for your vision needs. Schedule an appointment today by calling 770-790-4145, and let us help you see the world with clarity and confidence!
Can myopia be cured?
While no known cure for nearsightedness exists, various treatment options can correct your vision and significantly improve your quality of life.
Can children outgrow myopia?
In some cases, nearsightedness can stabilize or even improve as children grow. However, monitoring their vision regularly and seeking professional guidance if you notice any changes is important.
How often should I have my eyes checked if I have myopia?
If you have nearsightedness, it's crucial to have regular comprehensive eye exams, typically once a year or as your optometrist recommends.
Is myopia preventable?
While it may not be entirely preventable, certain measures can help slow down the progression of myopia or delay its onset, such as spending time outdoors, taking visual breaks during prolonged work, and following good eye hygiene practices.